The Avalere study determined that during the open enrollment period, beneficiaries sought out and and chose a low-cost Medicare prescription drug plan (PDP). The market competition that help shift enrollees to low-cost PDP’s has helped keep Medicare Part D premiums fairly stable in 2013.
The Top 10 Low Cost Medicare Part D Plan Providers
- AARP MedicareRx Preferred (PDP)
- SilverScript Basic (PDP)
- Humana Walmart-Preferred Rx Plan (PDP) [
- Humana Enhanced (PDP)
- Cigna Medicare Rx Plan One (PDP)
- First Health Part D Premier (PDP)
- WellCare Classic (PDP)
- First Health Part D Value Plus (PDP)
- AARP MedicareRx Saver Plus (PDP)
- HealthSpring Prescription Drug Plan (PDP)
The low premiums for 2013 are a result of the rapid growth, and competition, in the Medicare Part D market. Preferred pharmacy networks are the way that most of the low-cost plans control their costs. The side effect of this is that the plans typically charge require enrollee’s to pay more at non-preferred pharmacies.
Stand alone Medicare Part D plans are becoming increasingly popular. There are more PDP plans sold than Medicare Advantage plans.